Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dear Mom, I made you a quilt

Ok, well I'm *making* you a quilt.

I feel like I'm doing you a disservice by not allowing you to be a part of my first major quilting venture. However, it would be pretty hard to keep it a secret from you if I asked questions.

I've actually been working on this for a couple months now. I have the heart, the pinky finger, and the ring finger done so far. Oh wait, I haven't told you the design yet. Let me back up.

So you've made a lot of people a lot of quilts (not to mention bags, clothes, etc.). I don't know that anyone has ever made YOU a quilt. You were generous enough to give me your old sewing machine, and I knew trying to give you money for it would be insulting. Instead, I decided to make something for you with it. I designed the quilt pattern myself, as you've probably realized.

It's an "I Love You" hand with a heart in the middle. The heart is made of pink polar fleece and the hand is made of blue cotton materials. The fill is green cotton material. I'm going to make my own buttons out of Fima in the shapes of ladybugs...they'll be hidden throughout the quilt in random places. I've picked fabrics that are roughly floral to go with that theme. Not all of them are floral though. I've also added some fun on the heart: one of the fabrics had words on it, so the triangles say "Faith", "Hope", and "Love". The other one says "Live for today", but it got cut off so you can't really tell. I'm going to add some metallic embroidering around the middle two fingers to make them more distinguishable from the rest of the quilt. Also, all the shapes are those you would find in a tangram: squares, triangles, and quadrilaterals made of two triangles put together.

Here's a picture of the heart before I sewed it all together:














I'll upload more pictures as I get them onto my computer. Needless to say, there are more than a few with Grisgris in them...he really likes the fuzzy heart idea. Mostly though, he just likes to sit exactly on the pieces I've laid out, right when I need them. He's good like that. :-)

No comments: