Thursday, August 27, 2009

Questions I wish I could ask Mom right now

There will be more, I'm sure. For now, here's a short list of things I wish I could ask/things I wish I'd known before I started on this journey of pieces:

* Who knew you had to wash the fabric before you used it? Not me. Wish I could ask if they're supposed to fray/tangle that much and what you're supposed to do about it when the whole mess of fat quarters comes out in a big, colorful ball of thread.
* How do I make quadrilaterals? I can't figure out for the life of me how to make them the right size, short of using trig...there has to be an easier way to do this. All it is is two triangles (right ones at that) pushed together...how hard can it be, seriously??
* That flying geese template still confuses me. It doesn't seem like a terribly efficient use of fabric for what I'm doing...but then, I'm probably doing it wrong anyways.
* How do most people pick out fabrics? I'm just grabbing ones I think are pretty, but I'm sure there are other schools of thought out there. On that note, is it generally frowned upon to mix fabrics? I can see where it would be...polar fleece to cotton stitching is...interesting.
* Am I the only one who's wary of cutting off the corners of triangles before sewing them to other pieces? I just can't bring myself to do it, even though I know it's spare fabric that I'll cut off afterwards anyways.
* I had to ask Dad how to build a rolling quilter thingy like you have. He suggested two saw horses and some dowels, with the dowels wrapped in drop cloth. I'll be attempting that feat of engineering this weekend. Wish me luck.
* What's the best way to make sure corners line up? I've been just pinning them together and pinning outward from there...it works for me, but I wonder if there's a better way.

I wish I could be sharing all this stuff with you directly...I'm having so much fun! I know you'd be so happy to talk about it too. Ah well, just a couple more months (gulp!) til Christmas.

No comments: